In this module, you will learn how to use the Aster Plot Power BI Custom Visual. The Aster Plot is a twist on the standard Pie or Donut Chart. What sets the Aster Plot apart from these visuals is that it has the ability to use a second measure to drive the sweep angle.
Module 13 – Aster Plot
- Power BI Custom Visual – Aster Plot
- Dataset – Category Sales.xlsx
- Completed Example – Module 13 – Aster Plot.pbix
- The Aster Plot allows a category that drives the chart and up to 2 measures:
- The first measure controls the depth of each section
- The second measure controls the width of each section
This shows an Aster Plot with multiple categories and two measures controlling the depth and width of each category.
- Under the Format paintbrush, there are several options for customizing the appearance of the Aster Plot.
- Turning on the Legend section adds a legend above the Aster Plot by default
- The legend can be moved by changing the Position property
- The title of the legend can be toggled on/off by changing the Title property
- The name of the legend can be modified by adding text to the Legend Name property
- The legend text size and text color can also be adjusted from this section
- By turning on the Detail Labels property, you will see data values appear next to each of the slices of the Aster Plot.
- You can then adjust things like the color, text size and number formatting
- Turning on the Outer line property adds a black border line that extends out to make a full circle around the Aster Plot.
This Aster Plot has the Outer line property turned on with a thickness of 5
- In addition to these properties, you have a set of settings that appears on every visual to adjust the background color, add a border around the visual and lock the aspect ratio.
Find Out More
You will always be able to find this video module and advanced viewing of future modules on the Pragmatic Works On-Demand Training platform or view my previous blog posts.