In this module, you will learn how to use the Drilldown Cartogram Custom Visual. The Drilldown Cartogram is a map visual that displays a circle for each location with varying size and color based on specific values you provide.
Module 59 – Drilldown Cartogram
- Power BI Custom Visual – Drilldown Cartogram
- Dataset – Military Veterans.xlsx
- Completed Example – Module 59 – Drilldown Cartogram.pbix
- Shape Level 1 – https://uat.gramener.com/static/c3/US_adm1.json
- Shape Level 2 – https://uat.gramener.com/static/c3/US_adm2.json
- Displays a circle for each location with the size and color based on the values you specify.
- Allows you to drill down through your hierarchy data.
- You must add a shape file yourself to use this visual.
This Drilldown Cartogram map shows military veterans by county in the United States.
- Under the Format paintbrush, there are several sections available to modify the appearance.
- Under the Data colors section, you can adjust the type of colors used on the map and the thresholds that determine their color.
- The Shape properties should really be your first stop when working with this visual. Without configuring at least the Level 1 property with a shape file, you will see nothing on your map. You can also change the type of map projection is used here.
- Under the Default color section, you can control things like the color of the border between shapes and how thick the lines are.
- The Circle settings allow you to control the size of the circles of the map and the border thickness around each circle as well.
- Using the Zoom properties you can change the behavior of the visual when you zoom into a selection you’ve made or manually zooming on your own.
- Turning on/off the Collision property will control the “bounce” you may notice when the circles touch each other on the map.
In addition to these properties, there are settings that appear on every visual to adjust the background color, add a border around the visual and lock the aspect ratio.
Find Out More
You will always be able to find this video module and advanced viewing of future modules on the Pragmatic Works On-Demand Training platform or view my previous blog posts.