In this module, you will learn how to use the Pulse Chart Custom Visual. The Pulse Chart can easily display trends in your data and any events that could have caused those trends to occur.
Module 88 – Pulse Chart
- Power BI Custom Visual – Pulse Chart
- Dataset – US Stock Market.xlsx
- Completed Example – Module 88 – Pulse Chart.pbix
- Allows you to playback the data to see the trend unfold in front of your eyes.
- Events over a timeline can pause the animation.
This Pulse Chart shows the S&P 500 trends with major economic events highlighted.
Under the Format paintbrush, you will find several settings that can be adjusted for this visual.
- In the Series section, you can define the color and width of the series line on the chart.
- Using the Gaps property, you can control if gaps in your data are shown. For example, if there was no data recorded over a weekend or holiday, you should see gaps in the chart.
- In the Popup section, you can adjust the appearance of the event boxes.
- Using the Dots settings, you can increase or decrease the size and transparency of the dots that are displayed for each event.
- Next, the X Axis section allows you to adjust the horizontal axis formatting.
- Using the Y Axis section, you can adjust the formatting of the vertical axis.
- The Playback section allows you to change the animation capabilities of the Pulse Chart.
- Lastly, the Runner Counter section can be modified to adjust what is shown in the top right counter while the chart animates.
You can also adjust the background color, add a border around the visual and lock the aspect ratio under the Format section.
Find Out More
You will always be able to find this video module and advanced viewing of future modules on the Pragmatic Works On-Demand Training platform or view my previous blog posts.