In this module, you will learn how to use the Tornado Power BI Custom Visual. The Tornado allows you to compare two categories of data vertically similar to a bar chart.
Module 14 – Tornado
- Power BI Custom Visual – Tornado
- Dataset – Pay by Job Title.xlsx
- Completed Example – Module 14 – Tornado.pbix
- The Tornado has a few limitation that you should be aware of before using:
- If there’s a legend value, it should only have 2 distinct values
- Each distinct category values is a separate bar with left or right parts
- Alternatively, you can have two measure values and compare them without a legend
This shows a Tornado with two distinct values in the Legend property.
- Under the Format paintbrush, there are several options for customizing the appearance of the Tornado.
- From the Data Colors section, you can specify what color is used for each distinct value of the Legend.
- By changing the values in the X-Axis section, you can manually adjust the scale used to display the values.
- In the Data Labels section, you may find it useful the adjust the Text Size,Decimal Places, Display Units, Inside fill or Outside fill.
- The Text Size will adjust the value labels that are appearing inside the Tornado
- Decimal Places will allow you to adjust rounding of decimal points
- Display Units was actually changed for the sample image above to show in Thousands as opposed to the default, which usually shows in Millions.
- Using Inside fill will change the color of the value labels
- The Legend property allows you to adjust the Position, Title, Text size, Color, or Legend Name.
- Using the Group property, you can adjust the color of the group label text.
- In addition to these properties, you have a set of settings that appears on every visual to adjust the background color, add a border around the visual and lock the aspect ratio.
Find Out More
You will always be able to find this video module and advanced viewing of future modules on the Pragmatic Works On-Demand Training platform or view my previous blog posts.